Sunday 15 June 2014

Learning From Each Other.



So folks this week i found out I'm successfully graduating with a 2:1 BSc Hons Degree in Physiotherapy, which i am over the moon about! 




People have been congratulating me all week, praising me for for hard work and wishing me good luck for the future. But as I have officially finished the last stage of formal education I have really started to reflect on the past couple of years, especially regarding my educational and professional and professional life. 

Yes I have graduated with (what society would dictate) a decent degree level but can I really take the credit!? In short; I would say the majority of my progression has been down to the time given and the caring attitude from my peers, colleagues, friends and family. Yes they maybe didn't put pen to paper or strip off in class to do countless physio assessments! But, they  carried me through all the difficult parts, and, nurtured what little knowledge I had, developed it, and fined tuned it.

I've met a lot of different people in the last few years, many of whom I will never forget because they took their own time ( and sometimes money) and they decided they would use these two valuable resources many of us hold dear, to help me become better at being....well, me! NOT because they thought I was some prodigy, genius, on the road to discovering a cure to cancer or how to turn water into fuel, but simply because of the kindness in their own hearts to help someone who was finding it tough. And we all know life is tough, no matter what your doing whether its: Uni, work, socially etc.  

On my last placement during of University, each week some of my colleagues took 1 - 2 hours out of their own time to teach me certain aspects I was struggling with. In fact, during these 1 -2 hours per week I often learnt more than the countless lectures i attended in University. Now this doesn't mean that lectures are in no way helpful, they definitely are but It allowed me to improve myself as a Physiotherapist and wherein the situation where lets say these kind individuals didn't take this time to talk to me, I may have been totally lost during the final stages of my Uni career.

As you all know I'm also heavily involved in the world of fitness, nutrition etc. Although i say i'm heavily involved, there is a wealth of knowledge for me to develop. I have had the amazing opportunity to question various trainers and nutritionists to 'pick their brains,' ask them questions and for their opinions! Anyone I contacted, were more than helpful, answering any question I put to them. This again does not reflect on me, as i'm sure these individuals have answered the same question time and time again. The fact is, they again, took the time out of their own schedule to help another individual.



So what am I saying? 


Yeah, certainly go get the qualifications, learn the ropes, the basics. But while you're doing that, I want you all to go and talk to others, learn from them, their experiences, ups and downs. Question them on aspects you're struggling with and don't be afraid, they will have experienced the struggle on the way as well. 

BUT....

In 10 years time when YOU are the expert, and someone wants to learn from you....do them the kindness that others showed you early in your career.

So, as I'm about to graduate in a couple of weeks I just want to thank all those who have supported me as I am about to start into step into the big bad world of employment, jobs, finance and continual professional development. Special thanks to: my girlfriend, parents, andrew and james (two of my tutors), all the physios at Ballymena Outpatients, friends (especially Reuben, Karl, Gareth: for keeping me sane), all the staff at Style n Sport and Creative Gardens, everyone who has ever taken the time to talk to me....

Any success I may have later in life, will come majorly from these people. Thank You!


Help Each Other!


Thank for reading!

Ethan








No comments:

Post a Comment